Saturday, December 03, 2005

Institutional Green

This past week, we took a break from the upstairs bathroom (have to wait for the electrician anyway) and removed the metal upper cabinets from the kitchen. I may be way off on this, but the upper cabinets look like they are from the 50's and the lower cabinets and sink/fixture maybe from the 30's. Here are the before and after pictures.Lovely color choice, huh? I don't know which was worse, the cabinets or the color behind the cabinets. We plan on recycling the upper cabinets by cleaning them up, painting them black and using them in our computer shop, we'll post an update when that project is done. Yes that is an outlet for a dryer in the first and second pics which is being moved to the mud room. The water heater was also located in the kitchen.

6 Comments:

Blogger SmilingJudy said...

I think that green must've been the "it" color in the 40's. I've found it in both houses I've owned during renovations. Seems remarkably close to the color of greenboard.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Yup, that color was very popular in the 1940s all the way up to the 60s. Don't forget Dr Pepper green (mint green)! I'm very experienced with Dr Pepper green coolers, vending machines and vehicles.

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drywall in the kitchen and the bathroom should be green. It is a water resistant drywall

8:57 AM  
Blogger K said...

Yikes. We found a similarly strange neon blue color on the woodwork in our kitchen. Love your sink, though!

12:29 PM  
Blogger Christopher Busta-Peck said...

OMG!

You have my kitchen cabinets! Lyon, of Aurora, Illinois and York, Pennsylvania. If you by any chance have any any of the end trim panels available, I'd be interested.

What I really want to know, though, and I don't think you can help me with, are the drawers. Mine don't seem to have anything to hold them in and keep them from falling out. I could surely kludge something together, but if I could find someone who has them, with the proper stops already installed, I'd rather not completely reinvent the wheel.

9:17 AM  
Blogger C&C said...

Sorry, we don't have these cabinets anymore. Good luck!

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
house pic