Sunday, February 05, 2006

2 Gigs of RAM Rocks!

I finally started building my new computer. After the mobo died in my home computer this past Thanksgiving, I just now started assembly. I was delayed first by RMA'ing the dead part, then I decided to do a full upgrade and spend time deciding which parts I wanted, then I there was Christmas, then there was moving, then there was work on the house. That, combined with building/fixing computers everyday for clients put this project on the back burner...

Until now!!!

I'm so excited to get to play games again, I just had to share. ;)

Here are the specs of the new beast!
  • ASUS A8N-SLI Premium motherboard
  • AMD Opteron 148 processor
  • 2GB OCZ Dual Channel Titanium memory
  • qty-2, 74GB Raptor, 10,000RPM Hard Drives (RAID 0)
  • qty-2, eVGA 7800GT video cards
  • Ultra X2 550W Modular power supply
  • NEC 16x dual layer DVD-RW
  • Antec P160 case

Here is the mother board, prepped and ready to be installed.


2 gigs of RAM, baby!


Check out the cable management (and the Raptors).

This is as far as I got, once again things like tiling and painting the bathroom and working on OPC (other peoples computers) have gotten in the way of Call of Duty 2. Oh well, you know what they say about cobblers' kids.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i understand how everything else tends to fall away while the house in under construction. We have gotten nearly nothing done since Christmas and i also have a computer that is failing. I have a couple of questions for you about your system. I am thinking of a very simliar system, whith the exception of a dual core CPU. Do you have an idea or opinion about Opteron vs. X2's? What is the difference between a 939 and 940 mobo and why do some of the opterons use 940's? I'm not a gamer, but do a lot with Auto Cad and 3d max and some massive photos in Photoshop(~800Mb+). Why did you choose OCZ vs. corsair?

6:32 PM  
Blogger C&C said...

If you want dual core, you can go with a dual core Opteron. Right now though there's not a whole lot of benefit going with dual core, software isn't coded to take advantage of dual core processes yet...I'd give it six months or so. The only difference b/wn 939 and 940 is that the extra pin on a socket 940 CPU is to enable ECC memory support.

You'll see the most benefit of dual core if you do a lot of multi-tasking like possibly using Auto Cad and Photoshop at the same time.

I use both OCZ and Corsair in high end builds for clients, they are both quality products. The OCZ is a "faster" RAM, it has better timings (2-3-2-5) compared to (3-3-3-8) on the Corsair XMS (I'm talking 1GB sticks here). If you are going to spend the money on a performance workstation then I'd get the higher performance RAM...that way you know it won't be the bottleneck.

-chris

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
house pic