Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Take a GOOD look...



Because this is the washer & dryer you do NOT want to buy. It is deceptively beautiful with it's luminescent silvery "Titanium" finish, sparkling front loading glass doors and labeling that promises "ultra capacity" and "quiet operation". But, beauty is sometimes the beast underneath the gloss and advertising charm. So fellow homeowners/appliance buyers/do-it-yourself-ers/friends & family, a word of caution...don't buy an LG.
The first few days we had the washer, we had to cut the water off to it when we weren't washing a load as the drum would fill with water. It was missing a shut off piece, and LG took their time sending it to the repair service. After two weeks of waiting for it to be serviced, I should have known then that this would not be a good thing.
The washer makes all sorts of noise that you can hear throughout the house. It makes a whirring noise that sounds like some sort of space craft trying to take off, then the load will be imbalanced and it will beat and bang so loudly that you think the door is going to come off. After balancing the load, it then shrieks and squeals as it finishes the spin cycle. It boasts of "ultra capacity" but in fact does not hold much. My old, cheap Maytag top loading machine held much more and cost MUCH less. It also leaks water out the back if I've been doing much laundry that day. The dryer seems to only have one problem and that is that it shuts off too soon.
So I called LG to see what the problem was and they told me to call a repair man, supposedly warranty would pay for it. The repair man came out, did not know how to operate the machine, so he called LG for help. They told him the WHOLE problem was the fact that I was not using HE detergent and that it would work just fine and quietly if I did.
So now I am stuck with the repair bill because LG refuses to pay the service. And stuck with an expensive washer & dryer set that was supposed to be every laundry-doing person's dream that turns out to be...smaller capacity than expected, louder, and really just a disappointing case of buyer's remorse. So buyers be warned...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

These new appliances always look so pretty (I admit, I'd love a new washer) but honestly, if I were going to spend over $1,000 on a front-loading washing machine I'd go directly to a distributor that sells commercial machines to laundromats and buy a Speed Queen or Wascomat.

Over at Renovation Rants, they bought a Whirlpool that gave them all kinds of trouble. Here's a link to their trials in dealing with it and the rotten service they received from the retailer.

http://www.maro.net/nucleus/renovation.php?blogid=5&archive=2005-11&catid=14

I hope the problems you are having are just the initial bugs and that you have no further troubles. It doesn't seem fair to buy something and have it not work right from the get-go.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I would of read this before we got an LG fridge I am worried about it now. I hope that you got it worked out and fixed. I also hope that my new big fridge doesn't have any problems.

Siobhan

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
house pic