Sunday, March 01, 2009

Nursery Complete! (with pics)

With our baby being due yesterday or March 5 (depending on which due date you go by), we think we finally have everything done! And while it seems like I have been nesting since Chris and I got married (home=hobby to me, but not so much to Chris!), it's definitely kicked up a notch or two lately. While both of us are procrastinators in a big way, it could not be put off any longer. In fact, we should have started all of our projects way sooner - I don't know what we were thinking. Apparently, we weren't. You don't even want to know when we started working on the baby's room.

It started with the craft room, which we had to pack up and move to the dining room so the craft room could become the baby's room. All of that mess ( and I mean MESS) was to later be moved into the computer room where Chris and I would share space. With a tiny computer desk and no storage space for all the craft junk, that was going to be a BIG problem.

Next, Natalie had to relinquish her baby bed - which really weighed heavily on me. Turns out, it didn't bother HER one bit! She was actually excited to get a "big girl bed" and her room revamped. That was a major relief! With a new bed and area rug in place, she has happily gone from a baby bed and diapers, to a twin bed and pull-ups -without issue. Apparently, change is her thing - go figure. More on this in another post...

Our To-Do list was enormous, filled with building in a desk to patching and painting walls and furniture to sewing all sorts of things. But we did it, we actually pulled it off- with help, that is. After the husband balked at building in the desk for the third or fourth time, I took to the neighborhood email to find someone who would. I think he thought I was bluffing (I was not!), and we actually found someone in our neighborhood. He is an actual carpenter and did such a nice job on my desk, that Chris had him build his desk in also. We had him add more shelves in a walk-through closet and install shelves above both of our desks. He also went above and beyond and replaced a rotten crawl space access door and installed some weather stripping. We are thrilled to say the least! So if you need a good carpenter, I'll be glad to pass his info along.

So now the baby's room is finished, Natalie is all moved in her room, the Computer/Craft room is moved in, and the bag is packed for the hospital. We still have a few bits and pieces to finish, but it is definitely more livable now. Below are Graham's Nursery photos, photos of the other rooms to come later.

I bought this dresser for our kitchen when I was pregnant with Natalie. It was truly a mess, but I fell for it anyways. The finish was so bad, it looked like it had been in a fire -thus earning it the name "the burn victim". When we remodeled the kitchen, we moved it to the garage - I couldn't part with it. Chris gave it a good sanding, we painted it glossy black and added glass knobs. It doesn't look like the same creature! The brackets on the shelves above were made by Chris's grandfather, Lyn. The hat, shoes and little bear frame were Chris's when he was a baby.

The milk glass belonged to Chris's grandmother, Sara, who passed a little after Easter last year. She had told me at Easter that she dreamed we would announce we were having a baby sometime that year. I told her she could be right, to keep it under her hat though. I really wish she wasn't missing out on all of this.

The picture of the kids fishing belonged to my grandmother, Irene. It's from a calendar she had kept around since the 1920's. I vividly remember it hanging in her living room. The baby drawing was Chris's when he was a baby.


The bassinet was Chris's, as was the green & yellow quilt hanging out of it which was made by his grandmother Rose & great-grandmother. The doll was his great-grandmother's and is actually a girl, but I dressed it in Chris's old baby outfit - I thought it was a little more fitting! It's actually Natalie's doll now, but 2 year olds probably shouldn't be playing with antique porcelain...so it's about to go into hiding again for safekeeping.



These metal racks are so versatile, they work great when you don't have a closet- and so cheap! The nightlight was a kit, and it was SO fun & easy to do. I'd like to make more of these!

2 Comments:

Blogger NV said...

Everything looks adorable! Good luck with the arrival. For your sake, I hope it's soon. :-)

10:58 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Love all the stories that go along with the keep sakes.

Wishing you the best.

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
house pic